Joel Hammer wrote:

> I am rusty on networking.
> I have a thin coaxial cable home network. My son just got a lap
> top for school and will be bringing it home from time to time
> and needs to hook it up to the home network.  He will need to
> access the internet as well as download files, etc.
> The laptop has a twisted pair NIC.
> What would be the easiest way of hooking this thing into my
> network? I imagine putting a second NIC into an easily
> accessible computer on the network and hooking them together
> directly with a twisted wire would be easy. What would be the
> proper name for such a directly connecting twisted wire cable?
> I may just go out and get hub and start converting my home
> network over to twisted wire instead of thin coax. Does anyone
> have experience making this transition?
> Any other ideas appreciated.
> Joel

You could consider using a hub that has a BNC connector to connect your
existing coax network and 10BaseT for the laptop. That would allow you
to migrate from thinnet to 10BaseT without having to recable
immediately. Consider a wireless network in the long run though.
Eliminates any of these issues concerning cabling and compatability. I
know the freedom it gives me is more than worth the price.
--
Andrew Mathews