David Aikema wrote:

> On August 25, 2001 07:41 pm, Andrew Mathews wrote:
>
> > You could consider using a hub that has a BNC connector to connect your
> > existing coax network and 10BaseT for the laptop. That would allow you
> > to migrate from thinnet to 10BaseT without having to recable
> > immediately. Consider a wireless network in the long run though.
>
> Too much in the way of $$$ for me.

Understandable. It's a fixed asset if you have a home with cabling
already run.

> > Eliminates any of these issues concerning cabling and compatability. I
> > know the freedom it gives me is more than worth the price.
>
> What about security?  AFAIK wireless at the moment has been effectively shot
> full of holes.

Data encryption over wireless has several exploits. A couple are on
freshmeat. However security over a hard wired connection is just as
vulnerable. There are bunches of packet sniffers available that do the
same thing. The difference is in access to the data packets. Wireless
would have to be captured between you and the ISP or second station.
Unless you're running an omnidirectional antenna, you're broadcasting a
rather small beam. If somebody's sniffing, you will almost be able to
"see" them physically. If somebody's packet sniffing on a network, they
could be anywhere your network runs. If you're on a WAN, they don't even
have to be in the same state to sniff you. So essentially it's a toss up
security wise.

> David Aikema

Andrew Mathews