On Wednesday 05 September 2001 10:40 pm, Myles Green dropped these
nuggets of information:

Hi Myles,

Sorry it took awhile to get back.  No problem with the questions.
Answers dispersed throughout.

> A few questions, if I may. When you tar'd your mail folder what was
> the command you used?

tar cvf mail.tar mail

>Did you check the file size of the .tar file
> against the original folder (IIRC, they should be very close to the
> same)?

No I didn't.  But I did test it by untarring it after I had it tar up
but before I copied it to zip disk.  It untared fine then.

>Did you try unpacking the .tar.bz2 file with 'tar xyvf
> <file>.tar.bz2'?

Got a "y --invalid option"

Can you see what's in the .tar file using some
> utility like KDE's Archiver or maybe midnight commander?

KArchiver errors out with " I can't fork a decompressor".  I don't have
midnight commander installed.

>And lastly,
> have you done this successfully in the past?

I've successfully tarred them to backup but I've never had to try to
restore them until now.  So I guess I haven't.

> Sorry for all the questions but those are what came to mind.

No problem.  Thanks for the help.

--
Tom Wilson
Registered Linux user #199331