--- Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 September 2001 10:40 pm, Myles Green dropped these
> nuggets of information:
>
> Hi Myles,
>
> Sorry it took awhile to get back.  No problem with the questions.
> Answers dispersed throughout.
>

> > A few questions, if I may. When you tar'd your mail folder what was
> > the command you used?
>
> tar cvf mail.tar mail

Ummm...is 'mail' a file or a directory?  If its a standard UNIX mail
file, then its, well, a file.  tar is for creating archives of multiple
files.  tar has no effect whatsoever on a single file.  Have you tried
just viewing the contents of mail.tar with a random text editor, or even
less (or more) ?

> Can you see what's in the .tar file using some
> > utility like KDE's Archiver or maybe midnight commander?
>
> KArchiver errors out with " I can't fork a decompressor".  I don't
> have
> midnight commander installed.

Try something like xedit.  I strongly suspect that mail.tar = mail .

=====