It doesn't work on my NT4 IE5.00 box either. Building a functional webstie
requires a bit of forethought and proper use of tools to reach your intended
audience. This site would be fine for an intranet with IE 5.5 or better on
all machines. Unfortunatly, for the internet and cross platform portability
Frontpage might not meet your goals. Unless of course your goals are to limit
your targeted audience to newer IE versions which I dont believe is your
intent. If you use buttons and links you can have the same effect with
javascript instead of java for the rollovers.

Many use frontpage for internet use and its really only suited for intranet
use if you use all the bells and whistles. FP is a prime example of why so
many professionals distain its users as clueless newbies pretending they know
whats going on.

Different apps can be used to create the design but the basic process remains
the same.

The basic layout is put down. Intended audiance, level of "glitz", ADA
compliance, html level. Sections, catagories, departments, functions,
whatever, any sub-sections and their individual pages. Logo design(if needed)
and placement, motto, mission statement, slogan use/placement. Care is taken
to keep every thing within two clicks.  Need header/footer, sub
header/footer, PHP/SSI. Colors, borders, accent, background set. Theme set,
framed, umframed, navigation, top/bottom/side, overall look, corporate,
tecno, comtemporary, local/regional/geographical.Search engine placement.
Server concerns, special configurations or apps. Scripted or DB's apps,
searches, guestbooks,whatever. The use of graphics and their placement and
what they should convey are discussed. This is done beween the designer(s)
and the client/person incharge of the site. All the above may entail more
than one meeting.

Content: gathered as soon as basic layout is set and edited to fit
pages/content theme as needed. Pictures, slides, CD's are also gathered and
grouped to their intended placement/use within the pages and headers/footers.
This can be either in-house or in conjunction with the clients people.

Content is finalized and pics/articles are selected for use.

Index page design is done full sized in a graphic app. Header and footer
created if needed. Individual buttons/texts made. Graphic sliced to create
rollovers and load speed. Scanned pics/ articles whatever reduced/sized.

Fully functional index page is created. Any catagory/sub-catagory, etc
templates are created. Website structure/tree created.

Templates are used as needed to insert content(into which the editors have
thoughtfuly inserted breaks,para's,bolding,etc.). Scripts are also written to
digest and format content into templates if needed. Much easier when you are
talking 50,100,200 or more pages. scanner, doc feeder, OCR(omnipage),
spellcheck, run through script. You can do the same for scanned graphics to
size and convert a whole folder full.

end design for the web 101 intro

I do the scripting and batching on linux and designing on windows NT with
Homesite, Photoshop/ImageReady.

On Sunday 16 September 2001 16:13, Tim Wunder wrote:
> Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Typically, the man who volunteers
> gets the job. As I am not a web designer, I'm reduced to bitching and
> moaning. The site doesn't come up for me at all with Konqui (oops, it does
> come up, sort of... takes forever to load the javascript buttons, but only
> partially, and looks bad -- man, it's no wonder nobody visits this site).
> It's also slow to load and looks bad using Netscape 4.7x and won't load
> with Mozilla under linux 'cause Moz don't know about the JM that I've got
> installed and I haven't told it about it yet (what it don't know won't hurt
> it). Perhaps I can improve it by changing my java install.
>
> Caldera's Workstation 3.1 apparently uses:
> [dad@ew31 dad]$ java -version
> java version "1.3.0"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition, root-20Apr2001-17:16
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM, Caldera Systems, mixed mode
>
> Perhaps a change there would do some good. Any recommendations on Java
> clients?
>
> I reaIly wish he'd get rid of the freakin' java, though, I've complained to
> him several times. I typically don't surf with Java enabled. But... my
> pleas fall on deaf ears. The only choice I would seem to have is to
> volunteer to take over running the site. But that means learning web design
> and html.
>
> Anyone care to recommend a web design tool for the neophite?
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Ronnie