> correctness. The difference (besides opposable thumbs) is that some
> animals refuse to give up their freedom. Ever seen anyone ride a zebra?
> They can't be broken like a horse. Why do many animals have a greatly
> reduced lifespan when caged? Their spirit is broken. I can't say I've

I an not sure if caged animals live shorter lives. I know that dolphins in
the wild don't live as long as penned dolphins. Most animals, including the
human animal, live longer when given a steady diet, are fed even when they
are too sick to hunt/gather food that week, get medicine for infections,
and are protected from predation and extremes of weather.
Not having to fight for mates or for territory also extends life.
If some animals die quicker in cages, it is likely due to infection or stress
from overcrowding.
About riding zebras, I think that may have more to do with evolution.
Domestic animals have been bred to work with humans. Horses, dogs, cows,
etc. all have a long history of selective breeding (by humans) to make them
useful to us.
As an example of something we take for granted in domesticated animals,
you cannot house break a chimpanzee.
Despite high intelligence, the chimp has not evolved, they tell me, control
over their sphincter function, so necessary for humans and their animal
companions. Imagine how long a human/dog/cat would last in a human group if they
just did their business whenever the need hit them. I don't see a man
getting many mates (human ones, at least) if he had that problem.
Joel
P.S. This thread seems to have hit rock bottom with this email! Shall we not
say TID (Thread is dead)?