Kaixo!

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 09:31:31PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> > CJK characters unified are actually the same, with only idionsyncrasic
> > differences. A person not able to recognize them won't be able to read
> > a real life text with some fancy fonts (like in ads for example), or a
> > hand written text, which have variations often greater.
>
> Not true.  I am a native Japanese speaker.  There are some characters
> whose Japanese version is very basic (and elementary school student
> can read) while I cannot read Chinese version.

But are those unified?
Have you an example of a unified one in such case?

> Many older Japanese people can read traditional-Chinese style, because
> Japanese people used to use the style until about 1950.

But those are not unified.
Those that have two different codepoints in japanese encodings are two
different ones in unicode too.

Maybe I'm missing something and there are indeed some characters that
are problematic; however I haven't encountered none. On the other side
I agree that my knowledge of kanji must be far below yours, so maybe I
just happen to not know the ones that are problematic (among others I don't
know either, of course).

> Believe me, I read tens of ads every day (on TV and on newspapers)
> because I live in Japan.  (Sometimes Japanese ads may use very difficult
> character which nobody can read.  The purpose is just to give an
> authorized or intelligent impression.)

I once saw a picture of an ad that have the kanji for "buy" (I think, don't
recall exactly) with its "shell" radical replaced by a real picture of
a real shell; if it wasn't told in the text below the image what it was
supposed to be I wouldn't had discovered it, for sure.

That reminds me of my uncle, who used to have a grocery, and purposedly
put texts with very weird letters as a commercial practice: people were
intrigated and come to ask what it was, and that leaded to a more people
buying something than if simple "as everybody else does" texts were used.

Well, I would highly appreciate some examples of unified CJK chars with
shapes diferent enough in C/J/K that they are unreadable or near-unreadable
to each another, that would allow me to understand the problem.

Thanks

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga