[sorry for taking a few days to reply...]

* Jan Willem Stumpel [2006-01-18 14:41]:
> This does not work in my case. Also interchanging the entries (US first,
> then GR) did not work. I mean you can get the accents, but not the
> breathing signs. Strangely enough, even calling
>
> LANG=el_GR.UTF-8 xterm
>
> and then doing things in the new xterm, did not work! I don't understand
> why. I have the el_GR.UTF-8 locale installed.

I really wonder why... I thought if you had a ~/.XCompose file, your
locale didn't matter (except if you specifically used it in that file,
by doing 'include "%L"'). Maybe it's not used at all? You could try
strace on some X program and see if it is opened.

 $ strace -o foo xterm
 $ grep XCompose foo
open("/home/adia/.XCompose", O_RDONLY)  = 5

> to use the xkb facilities). But in the true UTF-8 spirit, we should be
> able to read/print/enter *anything* from *any* locale, as long as it is
> a UTF-8 one.

I agree with this sentiment... I have also had trouble in this department
as well :(

> So perhaps /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/gr should really be changed to
> include the UTF-8 'breathing' signs.

Yes, but which keysyms should be used? U0313 and U0314, which correspond
to U+0313 COMBINING COMMA ABOVE and U+0314 COMBINING REVERSED COMMA
ABOVE? The current hack which uses dead_horn and dead_ogonek? Or some
new keysyms?

* Simos Xenitellis [2006-01-18 14:40]:
> There are clashes with the reusing of dead_acute, dead_ogonek and so on
> in many different languages, causing trouble and conflicts when having a
> single compose file for all languages. I did not see a compelling reason
> against creating more symbol definitions. Are there any?

Well, I don't think there is a problem with reusing dead keys for many
languages. Can you think of an example where a dead key followed by a
letter key (or some other similar sequence) should produce different
results depending on the language?

X11 keysyms are supposed, I think, to correspond to keys that really
appear on keyboards. But in the case of polytonic Greek, for instance,
we never had computer keyboards with breathing signs, did we? So these
symbols were left out. You are right, a few more symbols for dead keys
would be useful. But I don't know who is responsible for defining new
ones - X.Org maybe? Perhaps a bug should be opened about this at
bugs.freedesktop.org...

--
Alexandros Diamantidis * [EMAIL PROTECTED]