Alexandros Diamantidis wrote:
[sorry for taking a few days to reply...]

* Jan Willem Stumpel [2006-01-18 14:41]:

This does not work in my case. Also interchanging the entries (US
first, then GR) did not work. I mean you can get the accents, but
not the breathing signs. Strangely enough, even calling

LANG=el_GR.UTF-8 xterm

and then doing things in the new xterm, did not work! I don't
understand why. I have the el_GR.UTF-8 locale installed.

I really wonder why... I thought if you had a ~/.XCompose file, your locale didn't matter (except if you specifically used it in that
file, by doing 'include "%L"'). Maybe it's not used at all? You could
try strace on some X program and see if it is opened.

I am going to investigate this further. Will reply when I get some results.

[..]
So perhaps /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/gr should really be changed to include the UTF-8 'breathing' signs.

Yes, but which keysyms should be used? U0313 and U0314, which
correspond to U+0313 COMBINING COMMA ABOVE and U+0314 COMBINING
REVERSED COMMA ABOVE? The current hack which uses dead_horn and
dead_ogonek? Or some new keysyms?

I think it should be U0313 and U0314, because they are 'official': the
Unicode standard (http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0300.pdf) says that
313 and 314 are used as Greek psili and Greek dasia, and the
common Compose file (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose)
already has lots of compose sequences defined which use 313 and 314,  like

   <dead_iota> <dead_tilde> <U0313> <Greek_omega>  : "ᾦ"
     U1FA6 # GREEK SMALL LETTER OMEGA WITH PSILI AND PERISPOMENI AND
     YPOGEGRAMMENI

In fact there are 20 different compose sequences in the file for the ᾦ
character alone! Some of them involve 5 keystrokes, using ( and ) to
input the 'breathing' signs. I've no idea who put all these definitions in.

So polytonic Greek does not really need its own Compose file; everything
is already in the common file. Using the common file would mean that
polytonic Greek could be input from any (UTF-8) locale. It's just that
the /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/gr file has to reflect this. The dead_horn
and dead_ogonek can then be left alone (for whatever really horn- and
ogonek-using languages want to do with them).

Regards, Jan