Simos Xenitellis wrote:

> There is some work to update the settings for Greek Polytonic. Two
> thoughts here are: 1. Place ¨ (dyalytika) on the same dead key as
> with modern Greek. 2. There is no way to type oxia; tonos and oxia
> are considered equivalent in Unicode 3.0+ and tonos is preferred.
> However, if users would rather have an oxia option, I feel we should
> provide it.

I'll reply to your other points later when I have digested them (there
is a lot of information there) but your message made me realise only now
(sorry) that the tonos and oxia are really different. I thought it was
strange that the "acutus" was straight up instead of pointing to the
right. I thought this was a font problem. But it is not, because many
fonts already have different glyphs for Unicode ά (03AC, small alpha
with tonos) and ά (1F71, small alpha with oxia). It is a keyboard
problem. The keyboard does not distinguish between the two. Simple alpha
with acute accent becomes alpha with tonos. But if there are more
accents in the combination, the acute accent becomes oxia.

Proposal (I tested this, with the small alpha only, and it seems to
work):

-- Greek (modern and ancient) should use the common (international)
   Compose file.
-- The international Compose file should have different definitions for
   letters with simple tonos and letters with simple oxia. At present,
   the Compose file has

<dead_acute> <Greek_alpha>      : "ά" U03AC # GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA
WITH TONOS

   (and grep "GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA" Compose|grep -v AND|grep OXIA
   gives nothing!)

   To distinguish between tonos and oxia, on the xkb side, something
   should be chosen to represent the tonos.

   Perhaps we could just use "apostrophe", but in my test I abused the
   old "dead_horn", just like Alexandros did, but this time for modern
   Greek:

<dead_horn> <Greek_alpha>      : "ά" U03AC # GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA
WITH TONOS

<dead_acute> <Greek_alpha>     : "ά" U1F71 # GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA
WITH OXIA

   (For the time being, I put these things in ~/.XCompose, but they
   should really be in the common file).

-- Then in xkb (/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/gr) the AC11 key could be
   defined as "dead_horn" in the default (modern Greek) section and as
   "dead_acute" in the polytonic section.

"Modern Greeks" could then use setxkbmap gr (or the corresponding
definition in /etc/X11/xorg.conf) as usual. People who want to type
ancient Greek would use setxkbmap "gr(polytonic)", and would get oxia
instead of tonos for the same key combination. This of course assumes
that ancient Greek does not use the tonos, only the oxia. And there may
be other snags that I did not think of..

Regards, Jan