On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 23:23:17 +0400
Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov <dbarysh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> General question: do you base on rf212 or rf212B chips (there is an
> app note on Atmel's site describing differences between those chips).
> It is ok to target only one version of the chip, provided you put a
> notice in the source file.

I'm working with rf212 (not rf212b). Since those two chips differ in
part version, I'll add a check for the version to only support the
rf212 version in my driver.

> Ok. You actually forced me to open the -2011 standard.
> Now I have the impression that LBT is a property of the channel band
> (let's call it subpage - several channels in the same page, spanning
> sequential frequencies). Am I right, or it is actually a property of
> the channel band in some countries (e.g. you may use 950Mhz with CSMA
> in countries A and B and with LBT in C).
>
> What is more correct?

As far as I understand it, you have the choice between CSMA and limited
radio duty cycles (say, no more than 1% of air time for any given node)
or LBT and no limitations on radio duty cycles. In some bands though,
the duty cycle limit for !LBT indeed seems to be 0%, as you mentioned
with the 950 MHz band (in this case in Japan).

> AACK requires that HW/PAN/short address is set in the registers.

RF212 requires this either way, or it will not receive any frame that
is not a broadcast.

> Another and more important use case is having several 802.15.4
> interfaces on a single phy. I had an idea of requesting capabilities
> through add_iface (so one can create one 'accelerated' iface and
> several 'unaccelerated' ones), however nobody ever implemented
> this. Maybe this part needs to be redesigned.

Several wpan interfaces on one wpan-phy are broken as far as I can see.
Currently, adding a wpan to a phy will set the address filters, and at
least RF2xy seems to use these filters also in simple receive modes if
they have been set. For these radios, you'll have to enter promiscuous
mode either way if you have multive wpans per phy.

Also, each subif of a phy can have it's own channel and page. This can
lead to situations where only a subset of the wpans is capable of
receiving frames _at all_, where users will certainly expect something
else.

As far as I can see, we can either put the radio in promiscuous mode
when multiple wpans are configured and not allow channel/page setting
per wpan, but only per phy - or we'll add a big fat note "maybe only one
wpan per phy can be active at any given time, depending on your radio".

> Is it possible to use ARET without waiting for an ACK frame?

Yes, just clear the REQ_ACK flag in the frame sent. TX_ARET in RF2xy
will then return immediatly. You can also disable retransmission by
setting the retransmission limit to 0. I have no API for this yet, but
I'll add one once I'm at that point again.