Hi Christian!

El 28/06/16 a las 16:38, Christian Schoenebeck escribió:
> On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 13:12:14 José Fernando Moyano wrote:
>> 2.) The hardware we sell as DIY kits is very generic. It's not designed
>> to work with LinuxSampler in anyway. It can run Linuxsampler in the same
>> way a Laptop or a Desktop computer can run LinuxSampler. It's a generic
>> sound-dedicated small-computer.
>
> If the hardware is not designed, nor intended to be used with LinuxSampler,
> then there is nothing your should be worried about. But I guess there is some
> reason why you came over here and asked. So there is probably some kind of
> intention for it to be used with LinuxSampler, isn't it?

There is intention to being used with ANY free software synthesizer that
can be run on it. Linuxsampler is only on more in the list.

>> I suposse that Dell, Compaq or any Clonic Builder/Reseller don't violate
>> the LinuxSampler license, althought they can claim that their "devices"
>> can run LinuxSampler. Zynthian case is the same, with a different User
>> Interface, based in RotaryEncoders+Switches instead of Mouse+Keyboard.
>
> Well, obviously Dell computers etc. are sold as general purpose computers. So
> the difference between those hardware products and probably "yours" (whoever
> actually sells the hardware in the end) is that "you" probably create a
> connection between "your" hardware product and LinuxSampler. Now the question

Zynthian is not a product. It's an open specification for building a
small-sound-computer with a UI well suited for live performing and sound
operation. Everybody can download ALL the schemes and specifications. We
don't hide nothing.

It's an open platform. Hardware and software is Open. We sell the kits
to promote the project, and of course, to cover the costs. The profit is
negligible.

> is what kind of connection is that? Do you ship the hardware with
> LinuxSampler
> already installed? Do you ship the hardware with an installer which is going

We don't include/ship ANY kind of software with the kits. Never. The
software can be downloaded by everybody from Internet, as everything is
free / open source software.

> to automatically install LinuxSampler for the customer? Do you promote your
> hardware product to provide a sampler and that sampler is LinuxSampler? Do
> you

It's an open specification for building a small-sound-computer with a UI
well suited for live performing and sound operation. Everybody can
download ALL the schemes and specifications. We don't hide nothing.

It's an open platform. Hardware and software is Open. We sell the kits
to promote the project, and of course, to cover the costs. The profit is
negligible.

> conduct workshops where you promote and/or sell your hardware products in
> connection with LinuxSampler? Anything else I probably did not mention?

If you prefer, we can avoid to mention LinuxSampler in our WorkShops,
web, blogs. Bad for you, bad for us. Completely not sense IMHO ;-(

> You know there are a load of people who contact us who want to sell hardware
> products with LinuxSampler, and most of them do not want to acquire a
> commercial license for it, so they always try to argue why they think they
> don't need to ask us for permission to use the sampler with a commercial

I think you are wrong with Zynthian ;-)

> product. But in the end in 99% of the cases they are just trying to find a
> way
> to circumvent our commercial restriction. And that is the primary reason why
> this sampler is not distributed under a pure FOSS standard license, because
> most commercial actors are just exploiting open source components to sell
> products without any intention to give back *anything* to the people who
> created those open source components.

Zynthian is, and always will be, an Open Platform, so we are giving back
to the community from the beginning.

All the software we develop is GPL. All the hardware we develop has a
public specification. We have publicated the schemes and gerber files
for every specific PCB and part, the Bill Of Materials, STLs for 3D
printing of enclosures, DWGs and DXFs with the schemes for building the
steel or aluminium boxes, tutorials, everything.

http://blog.zynthian.org
http://wiki.zynthian.org
https://github.com/zynthian

> I mean you came over here, and instead of first asking like "Hey, we probably
> might want to use the sampler with a commercial hardware product, could we
> get
> the permission to do so?", instead you immediately start a discussion why,
> from your point of view, you don't have to ask us for any permission at all.
> But the fact that you came over here and started a discussions about it shows
> that you are not convinced about your own claims by yourself. For good
> reasons.

You are completely wrong, Christian, and really, i don't know why we are
discussing. As you tell me, perhaps the error was contacting you.

I've contacted you as a kind of "courtesy" and to avoid
missunderstandings, not because i had any doubt about this.

Really, i'm very very surprised by your attitude. I never waited this
kind of treatment by your part.

> If "you" gain money by selling commercial products based on open source
> components, would it be *THAT* problematic to only forward a small subset of
> the profit you made to the people who created those open source components,
> components which actually added real value to your product(s)? If you had
> asked me that polite question mentioned by me above and I had answered: "You
> know what, forward us couple cents of each device you sell and you can do
> that", would you still invest energy and time to discuss license details over
> here? Would it hurt you? Would you sell less devices? But the sad fact is
> that
> you, like most other ones, cannot even consider that.

We don't sell ANY kind of device. We only sell kits that help,
partially, to build a ZynthianBox. And i say "partially" because you
need to buy a RaspberryPi, a soundcard, a touchsscreen and other
components by yourself. Our kits only include some specific PCBs for the
controller parts.

Zynthian is an open specification for building a small-sound-computer
with a UI well suited for live performing and sound operation. Everybody
can download ALL the schemes and specifications. We don't hide nothing.

Zynthian is, and always will be, an Open Platform, so we are giving back
to the community from the beginning.

All the software we develop is GPL. All the hardware we develop has a
public specification. We have published the schemes and gerber files for
every specific PCB and part, the Bill Of Materials, STLs for 3D printing
of enclosures, DWGs and DXFs with the schemes for building the steel or
aluminium boxes, tutorials, everything:

http://blog.zynthian.org
http://wiki.zynthian.org
https://github.com/zynthian

Really, i'm very sorry to have begun this discussion, as i think it's a
complete non sense, but, as i've started, i would like to make you
understand what Zynthian is and what is not, so we can be "friends" and
collaborate as "Open Source Projects". That's all.

Best Regards!
--
José Fernando Moyano Dominguez
 + Email: ferna...@zynthian.org