Roeland M.J. Meyer a écrit:

> There is some argument that one can use a Windows machine  for primary DNS.

I'm a typical end-user. I have a laptop running Windows95. There are
configuration pop-ups for TCP/IP and DNS confirguration. But I've never seen
a book anywhere, and I've been looking for over a year, that explains how to
use those capabilities.

> At MHSC, we've never tried this. We've always found either Linux or OS/2 to
> be much more reliable, for server operations.

I've been told that even WindowsNT wasn't completely compatible with BIND. I
looked through the WindowsNT DNS server manual once, but it looked
mind-boggling. The trouble with all those pop-ups and stuff is that you
can't see what it's doing, and it gives you no access to the files. Someone
on one of the lists said there was a program for Wndows95 that allowed full
lookup and Unix file facilities, but I've never seen or heard of it. And,
you know, the ISPs don't want to give us shell accounts any more. PPP is so
much easier for them to set up, and they don't have to worry about people
tampering with their files, or looking into their directories. So even if an
end-user learns how to change the records, there just isn't any way to do
it.

> It is very certain that in order to serve DNS, one needs a static IP
> address for at least two name servers, according to the RFCs. For those in
> dynamic IP land, this becomes a serious problem. They must find, or pay
> for, a host with a permanent static IP connection. This is the primary
> barrier to entry. With such a host, one can arrange secondary DNS services
> with ones ISP, as part of the "bandwidth" arrangement.

I have a static address. Actually, I have three, because I have three SLDs.
But I can just imagine what my ISP would say if I told him I was going to do
the primary DNS myself. He'd have a fit. Although I'd like to, frankly. For
the first few months of service, I was losing about one out of every four
e-mails, because the records for my domain names were written all wrong into
the zone file. The ISP never read the part in the manual about not using
aliases in the A and MX records. I only found out what was wrong because an
engineer at the .MX NIC in Monterrey, after the DNSO.org conference, took a
look at the zone file at my ISP and told me it was all wrong. There's still
no authoritative host for iciiu.org, if you do a lookup. This is the ****
the end-users go through all the time.