At 05:21 PM 1/9/99 -0500, Dave Crocker wrote:
At 04:49 PM 1/9/99 -0500, Dave Farber wrote:
I have stayed out of this for a while recovering from the trial.
We are drug pushers. We tout our technology but don't ever use it. What is wrong with live mbone, real video, real audio -- pick your poison, so all can at least attend the meetings if not the coffee breaks. If you tell me it is no god and does not work , may I quote you to the NY Times in an article about the smashing of the hope for the Internet :-)

So why not??!!

Because they don't work well enough in the current Internet.

Let's be a little careful about demanding immediate, large-scale, production use of technologies that, at best, are currently useful only as demonstrations.

Uh Dave ...

I've used Internet video conferencing with a few thousand folks. Audio got me even more, on the same bandwidth. If you run a send-only mutli-cast feed for video and two-way Internet phone you could handle quite a few folks. The big problem is the bandwidth, into the servers, for the Internet telephony stuff and *that* doesn't have to be at the meeting site. The meeting site only needs a satellite server for the audio and that could handle the video as well.

A partial T1 or FrameRelay link to the site should be sufficient.

Roeland M.J. Meyer -
e-mail:                                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet phone:                                hawk.lvrmr.mhsc.com
Personal web pages:             http://staff.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:                           http://www.mhsc.com
I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing...
                -- Thomas Jefferson