At 07:40 PM 7/3/99 -0400, Jon Zittrain wrote:

>>I don't know how you can say that when it's ignoring it's own bylaws
>>Jonothon.
>
>I've probably not been following the list enough lately, but I'd want to
>talk specifics here.

Well, the two names council members that are employees of MCI in contravention
to the bylaws that state no more than one employee of a company may
be on the names council is the most obvious one.

>> >"independent."  We need ICANN to be able to make decisions in the public
>> >interest,
>>
>>No, ICANN is supposed to coordinate technical parameters relating
>>to an aggregate of private networks.
>
>Deciding who gets to run ".biz"

RFC1591 says "first come, first served" and the document says it
appies to all levels od the domain tree.

I can't see how we "decide" who run a top level domain any more than
we "decide" who should run the domain amazon.com. The DNS has been
no more democratic than, say, the patent system. "we" don't "vote"
to see who should get a patent or how it's shared.

I agree with the rest of your letter.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"They were of a mind to govern us and we were of a mind to govern ourselves."