At 04:46 PM 20/07/1999 -0400, Michael Sondow wrote:
>Joop Teernstra wrote:
>>
>> Ellen Rony wrote:
>>
>> >Economies don't vote.  Individuals do.
>> >
>> >MAC presented ICANN with an unworkable solution--a membership too grand
and
>> >vague to be authenticated without great cost.
>> >
>> >ICANN is tasked to administer names and addresses.  Its stakeholders are
>> >those who have names and addresses or provide infrastructure and services
>> >related to same.  In order to have an IP address or register a domain
name,
>> >one must have access to computer hardware and connectivity.  Those who can
>> >afford such access most likely can afford a nominal membership fee.  Those
>> >who cannot, probably likewise do not care about these complex, convoluted
>> >technical issues.
>
><snip>
>
>> This was also the concept of my model for NewCo membership.
>> I agree with Ellen, that there is much merit in the idea of limiting ICANN
>> membership to the assigned name and number stakeholders.
>
>Do you, Joop? Then why didn't you support the ICIIU criterion for
>DNSO membership (reproduced below) when it was proposed, instead of
>opposing it as you did? Was it because you wanted to split the user
>opposition to ICANN, so that you could take away potential
>supporters of the ICIIU and form your IDNO? Now that you've done
>that, you claim the ICIIU's proposals as your own. Is that honest?

Michael,

My model for ICANN membership was ancient, published on the old DADNO
website and forwarded to the membership discussion list.
It did not win the day in the MAC.

>Proposal:
>
>DNSO membership is open to any person who is the registrant of a
>second level domain name under the generic TLDs, or of a third level
>domain name under a ccTLD whose second level domains are generic; or
>any person directly delegated to represent such a person.

When did I oppose that?  Is that not the formulation of the Paris Draft,
that I supported?
Anyway, Ellen was talking about ICANN membership, not DNSO membership.

Your other conclusion are entirely yours. You know why I called for the
formation of the IDNO, immediately after Singapore.
I felt the ICIIU had an anti-commercial bias and would not be the place
where Individual Domain Name owners (who do not care to be classified
commercial or non-commercial, because they are hybrid producer-consumers)
could find a home.
There is , and there should be, a place for both non-commercial
organizations and Individuals DN owners in the DNSO.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , bootstrap  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org