Thanks. Noted!

Esther

At 01:21 PM 20/07/99 +1200, Joop Teernstra wrote:
>Ellen Rony wrote:
>
>>Economies don't vote.  Individuals do.
>>
>>MAC presented ICANN with an unworkable solution--a membership too grand and
>>vague to be authenticated without great cost.
>>
>>ICANN is tasked to administer names and addresses.  Its stakeholders are
>>those who have names and addresses or provide infrastructure and services
>>related to same.  In order to have an IP address or register a domain name,
>>one must have access to computer hardware and connectivity.  Those who can
>>afford such access most likely can afford a nominal membership fee.  Those
>>who cannot, probably likewise do not care about these complex, convoluted
>>technical issues.
>>
>>Membership dues, however minimal, provide a form of accountability for
>>voting purposes. That's a reasonable quid pro quo for participating in the
>>vote.
>>
>>I understand that one problem with collecting a membership fee is that it
>>will cost more to administer this than will be collected if the fee is low.
>>OTOH, no membership fee means higher costs of authentication for voting.
>>By collecting a membership fee, some authentication is built into the
>>processing of the registration.
>>
>>I suggest that MAC reconvene, go back to the virtual drawing boards, focus
>>on who are the stakeholders of this corporation, not on some great
>>humanitarian outreach for all mankind, and develop a proposal that ties
>>voter authentication through membership fees, even if they are nominal or
>>on a sliding scale.  Otherwise, the current membership recommendations are
>>as pie-in-the-sky as ICANN's $5.9 million budget.
>>

>This was also the concept of my model for NewCo membership.
>I agree with Ellen, that there is much merit in the idea of limiting ICANN
>membership to the assigned name and number stakeholders.
>I suspect this idea will find sympathy in Joe Sims ear too. <g>
>

>--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , bootstrap  of
>the Cyberspace Association,
>the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
>http://www.idno.org

Esther Dyson                    Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com                    http://www.icann.org

High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
PC Forum: March 12 to 15, 2000, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"