From: "Chris Bagnall" <pfse...@lists.minotaur.cc>
To: "pfSense support and discussion" <list@lists.pfsense.org>
Sent: Friday, June 7, 2013 8:40:34 PM
Subject: [pfSense] Best practice for SSD installs

Greetings list,

I've used pfSense embedded for many years on ALIX boards.

However, given the difficulty of getting those boards with 4 NICs, or
more than 256MB RAM, I've recently been exprimenting with an Atom-based
motherboard instead. Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, the Atom board
in question doesn't have a Compact Flash slot, so my usual approach of
flashing the pfSense embedded image to a card isn't an option here.

The board supports CFast (which is hideously expensive in the UK) and/or
a standard 2.5" SATA device. Given a standard 2.5" 32GB SSD is
considerably less expensive than even a 4GB CFast card, I suspect I'll
be using SSDs for future installs.

Which brings me to the question: the last time I performed a pfSense
'full' install (i.e. not embedded) was several years, and many versions
ago. What's the best practice when using an SSD? Use the CD-based
installer to do a 'full' install, or continue to use the embedded
NanoBSD image?

One other thing I thought I might try is using an USB flash device. I
notice from the snapshots there's an image available for these devices,
but I can't seem to find much by the way of documentation online about
the benefits/pitfalls of this approach.

As an aside, there are several options on the "Advanced" tab relating to
NIC performance options:
- Disable hardware checksum offload
- Disable hardware TCP segmentation offload
- Disable hardware large receive offload
Has anyone done any tests / is there a list maintained anywhere with
details of which NICs are "problematic" with these, and hence should be
disabled? The motherboard I'm using is a mix of Intel and Realtek
gigabit NICs (em and re respectively).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Chris