On 2013-10-11 22:33, Walter Parker wrote:
Yes, you have been informed correctly. There are more than 2. According the World Atlas (http://www.worldatlas.com/nations.htm#.UlhOHVFDsnY) the number is someone between 189 and 196.

No kidding! ;-)

But you did not answer the question asked: Name the country that you would move the project to and why you believe that country would do a better job?

Why should *I* name it and why should I present ready solutions for an idea another community member brought up? Why should anybody be in a position to present ready solutions at this point? How about having a fruitful discussion and find solutions together?

Then because the USA can't be trusted, who is going to replace the Americans on the project?

You are mixing things up here. Just because the USA invented their tyrannous "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act", for which they perversely coined the euphemistic term "Patriot Act" and there fore can not be trusted anymore for hosting anything there, why should the Americans be replaced?!?!?

The name and logo are owned by an American company.

I guess, that is true, i.e. that ESF registered pfSense and it's log as a brand name.

I doubt they want to give them up to a foreign company owned by non-Americans

Nobody suggested that. Try thinking a bit more outside the box!
For instance: A non-profit foundation could be founded in a country outside the USA, and the brand, hosting of the project, etc. be transferred to that company. A board would be elected for this foundation who just a few basic things annually to keep the foundation running. ESF on the other side would be released of a great threat! They could continue offering their pfSense services to their customers as usual, but from now on nobody could come and force them to do things to pfSense since "they have nothing to do with it".

just to make it harder for the American government to pressure the project.

Incorporating pfSense and bringing it out of the reach of US-domestic jurisdiction would not "make it harder" but "impossible" to pressure the project.

If the rest of world wants to fork the project because of concerns about the US government, fine, but I don't think you will get buy in from ESF [the American company that owns the rights to the name pfSense].

Why to fork the code base?! No one suggested that - and no one suggested to do things without - or even against - the key people of the ESF. Right the opposite. It would even protect the ESF!

Once again, name some names. Who do you consider more trustworthy?

I am not Jesus to hand solutions to the community on a silver platter (but surely would be available for a *constructive* and *well-disposed*, *amicable* discussion to find solutions together!). I know of quite a lot of countries that seem interesting for a closer analysis for this cause and surely would propose one or another in such a constructive discussion.

Generally, what Adrian proposed makes only sense, if the community - including ESF - understands the threat and decides to act proactively to fight this threat.

But since 33% of the ESF - namely Jim Thompson - prefers bullying, insulting, frightening and muzzling anybody who brings up the threat that we are facing, trying to strike dead any thought as soon as it comes up (strange, isn't it?), I have no much hope that such a discussion about how to secure the future of pfSense will ever come to reality.

Follow the link, which of the 188-195 countries on that list do you propose to trust more and why? I'd suggest you pick once that is not already in bed with the NSA (which includes most of major western governments, plus some of the Middle East and Far East governments).

As we know by now, many western regimes are in bed with each other for surveying their own people, undermining democracy and civil rights. That is correct. The trick is that every country spies on the people of another country (which is legal) and then exchanges the data with the other country. So e.g. the USA spies on France, France on Canada, and Canada on the USA, and then they all exchange data with each other. And then - voilà - the result is that every country spies on his own people, circumventing it's own laws. In Europe there are many countries where it is officially known that they participate in this thimble-rigger trick, namely UK, Germany, France and others. But also other countries of the European Union, where it has not come up in the media that they do so - participate in this whole evil plan, since the EU has EU-wide programs in place such as INDECT which affect all members of the EU.

All this is correct, BUT:

It has nothing to do with our topic here! Even if you would incorporate a non-profit foundation in such a country where surveillance in place on it's own people, etc. the subject here is another! The point here is to find a country, where the government is not forcing companies to place backdoors into their software, as it is happening currently in the USA (example: Skype). And most other countries outside the USA do not do that currently since the civil rights are still valid there to a certain extent. So incorporating in a country where the government can not as easily inject back doors eliminates this threat and *that* is what we are talking about here.

Regards
Thinker Rix