On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Thinker Rix <thinke...@rocketmail.com>wrote:

>  Probably would not work (or would get whoever did that thrown in jail).
> This is similar to a Warrant Canary, but the USDoJ has indicated that
> Warrant Canaries would probably be grounds for prosecution of violation of
> the non-disclosure order.
>
> inspired by the keyword you dropped, I researched a little bit and found:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrant_canary
> It seems that you are correct: What Adrian suggests, is called a Warrant
> canary.
> In the wikipedia article it says that: "The intention is to allow the
> provider to inform customers of the existence of a subpoena passively,
> without violating any laws. The legality of this method has not been tested
> in any court." Is that wrong or in conflict with what you wrote?

I do not know of any prosecution for using a Warrant Canary, but that does
not change whether the government would intend to prosecute it (and I have
discussed it with lawyers in the DoJ and other areas). It just means that
the situation has not come up: either because no place that uses a Warrant
Canary has received a "secret order" or because no place that has received
one has been willing to really use it as designed. This is what it boils
down to: Do you want to go in front of a federal judge and say "I did not
say we received a subpoena, I just stopped saying we did not receive one."?
I know I would not want to.

If anyone wants to talk more about Warrant Canaries, email me off the list.

- Y