Ryan and Ralph,

I still can't get it to work on my home page.  My web host does support
SSI; I'm not sure about PHP.  I am using Drumbeat 2000, and am using the
"Roll Your Own HTML" smart element to insert the code into the home page.

Here is my counter:

http://www.worldmerchantltd.com/cgi-bin/counter.r

By clicking on the above link and then refreshing your browser, you can see
that it works.

Here are lines I have tried:

<!--#exec cmd="./cgi-bin/count.r" -->
<exec cmd="./cgi-bin/count.r">
<exec cmd="www.worldmerchantltd.com/cgi-bin/counter.r">
<exec cmd="worldmerchantltd.com/cgi-bin/counter.r">
<exec cmd="http://www.worldmerchantltd.com/cgi-bin/counter.r">
<?PHP include ("http://abooks.com/cgi-bin/banner.r"); ?>
<?PHP include ("http://worldmerchantltd.com/cgi-bin/counter.r"); ?>
<?PHP include ("http://www.worldmerchantltd.com/cgi-bin/counter.r"); ?>

Note that even Ralph's banner code is there; that should surely work since
it addresses his own server.  I am just trying to get anything to work.

Please examine the source code of this home page (
http://www.worldmerchantltd.com ), and see how Drumbeat inserted the
html.  I suspect that the problem lies there.

A good book on HTML would probably solve my problem; do you recommend one?

Thanks,
Louis