A 'go to text version' link certainly won't hurt, but our experience of user
testing is that they are rarely used. In fact we did a test project last
week where the site had a text version, an audio version and a built-in
magnifier, but only one of the three users (who was a screen reader user)
even noticed any of them. However, despite having some difficulties with the
site he never tried the text-only version.

Maybe this is because in the past text-only versions were maintained (or
not) separately and often had outdated or incomplete content. Obviously it
is possible to generate both versions from the same content but few sites do
this.

We also came across a site that had no fewer that six 'skip to' links such
as 'skip to main navigation', 'skip to sub navigation', 'skip to main
content' etc. The whole thing was so verbose that they really needed a 'skip
past all these skip links' link. The point being that screen reader users
benefit from pages being as terse as possible (i.e. less to remember), and
that sometimes they are hindered by features that have been added to help
them.

With regard to 'title' attributes, by default these are not read by most
screen readers. Some have an option that allows the user to read them but
that's little use because the user has no way of knowing if an element has a
'title' attribute except by trial and error, and it's too much hard work to
keep checking.

My email program mangled my previous emails today, so in case anyone missed
it, we're running a free JAWS demo on 27 November. Full details and booking
form at www.accessibility.co.uk/free_jaws_demo.htm.

Steve Green
Director
Test Partners Ltd / First Accessibility