@Matthew Hodgson:

That's brilliantly useful information, Matthew. It is interesting you mention screen magnifying, because it is my company's policy to use ems as measurements as far as possible, based on the conjecture that partially-sighted people would probably want to increase their default font-size, and having the whole site (within reason) scale with that would make the whole design far more continuous.

I recently discovered my Mac's zoom function (I'm forever startled by serendipity while slipping on F keys) which was nice. On a related note, I was horrified to see the effects of what I thought was IE7's text-size scrolling (Ctrl + mouse wheel up/down) - IE is still really bad at re-sizing images (FF is beautiful) and using this function, rather than simply zoom in on the rendered image, it attempts to re-render the whole thing based on botched calculations and creates some hideous results. This function, however, is not text-size scrolling (as it is with every other browser). IE7 still retains the 5 size scrolling but this is accessible only through the menu. I think this change is rather bad because we all expect those two actions to produce the same process, and also it's just not very good and creates a horrible experience for anyone who'd wish to use it.

Is default text size adjustment as common as I'd presumed in the partially-sighted community, or is it for the majority, as you suggest, magnification that is used instead?

@Steve Green:

Steve, what you're doing is exactly what I wanted to hear! Sadly as much as I approve and would want to take part, I can't justify this time off work - my boss has no problem with sending me to design conferences up and down the country, but as far as building on accessibility, company policy is just to accept general standards. As long as you can stamp the site with 'valid code', 'works without script', and 'no tables'... There's no commercial incentive to put any serious work or insight into accessibility (at least as far as our practice dictates).

@Frances:

The schism between web designers and developers is a terrible thing wherever it appears... And you're right - only pointed work on the part of designers to understand developers and influence them is going to heal the rifts.

Regards,
Barney