As a lecturer turned practitioner, I can completely support Jermayns'
comments.

One of the hardest things in teaching web development is finding decent text
books. By the time most get into print, they are already 2 years out of
date. And few come close to standards based development. I'm sure there are
more than a few texts still in circulation which heartily advocate the FONT
tag.

If academics could be helped to understand, or pointed at good resources, as
Ben suggests, this would go a long way towards helping the next generation
of developers do the right thing.

It's all about education.

Lucien.

--
Lucien Stals
Web Developer

Education is only the beginning.
Let's get on with it.

Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use
of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected
by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination,
distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University
does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is
also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility
to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you
have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000
and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in
connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption,
unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.