One of the hardest things in teaching web development is finding decent text
books. By the time most get into print, they are already 2 years out of
date. And few come close to standards based development. I'm sure there are
more than a few texts still in circulation which heartily advocate the FONT
tag.

At the moment I think the way to go would be to use web resources
rather than wait on a textbook. That way there isn't such a lead time
so they should be more up to date. Plus the students don't have to pay
for yet another textbook :)

If academics could be helped to understand, or pointed at good resources, as
Ben suggests, this would go a long way towards helping the next generation
of developers do the right thing.

There are so many challenges to motivate lecturers though - they have
a big enough workload as it is, so convincing them to change lecture
material they've used for years can be tough. Not to mention the long
lead time on changing course structure, syllabus etc. Even a highly
motivated academic could be hamstrung by procedure.

I wonder if guest lectures could be a way to go - eg. contact unis to
get them in touch with local standards professionals. That would have
the added benefit of "industry contact" for the university's marketing
documents ;)

It's all about education.

So very true.

cheers,

Ben

--
--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not