Rob Kirton wrote:
More likely it was me being ridiculous! I take on board your point about the importance of images / video, however surely Google 's understanding is only from the point of view of words we associate with a picture via a tagging mechanism ? Therefore words for the bot , rather than words for the user who in most cases can see the picture and draw on their own experiences for a definition of what they see.

Actually Google is working on face-recognition software. I have long been awaiting image search based on a sample image (as opposed to a text string)... And this is the first step. Facial recognition is actually less complicated because the science of facial features and depth within portrait photos are very easily constrained, standardised and computed.

So no, the future isn't just a massive tag field (I bloody hope).

Regards,
Barney