[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
You must be drunk too, if you are agreeing with me! (Apparently.)

The example that I was trying to describe went more like:

     end of para 2</p>

Appearing as:

Para 1                                              end of para2
Start of Para 2...                         foo

Don't we have a bit of a problem with that being invalid markup though? The situation you are describing, content flowing across multiple divisions should never happen. divs and spans may have no "official" semantic meaning (due to them being technically invisible), but if we start just putting them anywhere they become mere presentational tools.

My approach to using divs and spans (and I think this is the approach everybody should use) is that divs and spans should make sense in the source of a document even if no styles are present. This means no divs with ids like "column1" and "column2". I use divs to indicate clearly distinct sections, I then take advantage of the presence of these divs when it comes to styling the document.

At the moment we have a problem that we sometimes have to introduce meaningless divs and spans just to make certain layouts work (though it's not a situation we should just accept as ordinary, we should do everything we can to avoid this), hopefully the additions of css3 will allow use to produce any designs we want without having to add pointless tags.

- Andrew Ingram