I think you are taking that too far - imagine trying to create the look
of a newspaper on the web, with blocks of text that break off at
specific points to continue in the next column, where the blocks
themselves are more or less randomly distributed.  Does the end of one
DIV in that case tell you anything whatsoever about the content? Often
it isn't even the end of a word!

The physical structure of a page will often be entirely different to the
logical structure; in my opinion DIVs and SPANs should _only_ be used
for presentational purposes, and conversely the remaining HTML should
_only_ be used for content.

Mike