Geoff Pack wrote:
Designer wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if we could get browsers to interpret ^ (or
something) as meaning 'div id=' (and something else for 'class='). Then we could have, xml style code, such as:

<^pageborder>
<^content>
                blah blah
</content>
</pageborder>

MUCH more readable, and encouraging for semantic coding/markup?

Well, isn't this just the same as using XML and XSLT?

Why use html5 or xhtml2 when you can just write your own xml files,
using whatever semantic structure you want, and just tranform it into
html 4.01 in the browser?

For example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="document.xsl"?>
<document>
        <metadata>...</metadata>
        <header>
                <title>...</title>
                <logo/>
                <menu>...</menu>
        </header>
        <content>
                <section>
                        <h>...</h>
                </section>
                <section>
                        <h>...</h>
                </section>
        </content>
        <footer>
                <navigation></navigation>
                <copyright></copyright>
        </footer>
</document>

cheers,
Geoff

Forgive my complete lack of knowledge here, but can you (or someone) point me to details on where I can "just transform it into html 4.01 (or xhtml) in the browser"?

It's a serious question - I'd love to code/markup in xml.

--
Bob

www.gwelanmor-internet.co.uk