That is very helpful, Moira.

Kat's original query was:

> If the glyph for No. (as outlined in Wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No.) is used, should this be in an
> abbreviation element to explain it? It is an abbreviation, isn't it??
>
> What do screen-readers make of this particular glyph, if anything?
>
> Or should it be kept as No., which is quite common, and wrapped into an
> abbreviation element with a class of contraction, and a title of number?

In theory, all that's needed to represent No. is to use № - the HTML
Entity (decimal) for the Unicode Numero symbol. This gives all browsers,
screen readers, search engines and various bits of software every chance to
interpret the information correctly. Screenreaders can clearly be set to
make decisions about what to say (as in Moira's O circumflex example), so
can be instructed by their publishers to pronounce this as "number". You
shouldn't need to wrap an ABBREV around it, which is good because while it
/is/ an abbreviation of the word "numero", it isn't an abbreviation of the
concept to be conveyed, ie the word "number".

It also means there should be no confusion about "x" as "times", "by",
"unknown", "Roman numeral ten" or the letter "x" as each has its own Unicode
and HTML Entity. Sighted people can judge the meaning by the context while
screenreaders can pronounce the appropriate meaning.

However. At least one widely used screenreader says nothing when confronted
by the Unicode for "numero". It also isn't supported by all font sets,
although the most widely used seem to include it. Google doesn't seem to
translate HTML entities at all, treating them simply as character strings.

It may therefore be practical to wrap the Numero sign in an element that
describes it. The ABBREV element seems to be the best candidate.

So the answers for Kat are yes, no, probably nothing and possibly.

Ricky