> I'd still like to know if using character entity references
> and/or unicode for symbols and special characters will
> actually convey web content more clearly to people who use
> screen readers.

Sometimes, sometimes not. I have JAWS 6.1 and 7.0 installed - both know about
some Unicode characters and not others. JAWS reads a short name for the
character, not usually the full description from the standards, e.g. for U+00D4
(Ô) JAWS says O circumflex (not "Latin capital letter o with circumflex").

& some more examples...

for U+00D7 (×) JAWS says times
for U+2665 (♥) JAWS says nothing.
for U+2116 (the numero sign №) JAWS says nothing
for U+2122 (™) JAWS says trademark

JAWS Unicode support was meant to have improved significantly in version 7.0
and might be better again in 8.0, but lots of people who use screen readers
don't have the most recent version. Hope this helps,

Moira Clunie
Accessible Formats Developer
Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind
Awhina House, 4 Maunsell Road, Newmarket, Auckland
Private Bag 99941, Newmarket, Auckland
DDI +64 9 355 6938
Fax +64 9 355 6960
[EMAIL PROTECTED]