I'm afraid your test doesn't answer the question that (I think) you were trying
to ask, which is whether Google et al are able to _index_ these characters
correctly. Your test merely shows that Google ignores them in an input query,
not in the index itself. Perhaps some use of the advanced search options would
allow a better test?

A site search engine that I work with regularly does have difficulties with
this, but mainly because it is hard to define the correct behaviour for all
possible situations: should an accented character be stored as different to the
same character without the accent? The answer is basically 'which will the user
search for?'  In one case it is necessary to treat all accented characters as
though they were the same base character, and in the other case they must be
kept distinct.

Mike