On 2/8/07, Dmitry Baranovskiy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Actually in both cases you shouldn't use 'x', but &#215; or &times;
>> Good point. But will a screen reader find '&times' and say
>> 'times', or for
>> that matter Andrew's unicode alternatives?
>
> There's a key question. Anyone got a screen reader handy to test it?
> Sadly I don't...

Add to this "Will search engines correctly understand such a
symbols?" The answer is "No".

Compare:

3×4             http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=3%D74&btnG=Search&meta=
3x4             http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=3x4&btnG=Search&meta=
3 4             http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=3+4&btnG=Search&meta=

As you can see first and last results are equal, which means that
Google ignore &times; symbol. Try this two links as well:

Why do we care if Google understands the ligature? 3x4 doesn't seem
like a keyword I would optimize for when it comes to SEO...

Christian Montoya
christianmontoya.net .. designtocss.com