In a message dated 10/3/2002 8:41:32 AM Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Subj:Re: Come September: Arundhati Roy
Date:10/3/2002 8:41:32 AM Central Standard Time
From:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hermann)
Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC:    [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> mark: Thanks for the posting.
> From reading some of your posts,
> you appear to share Mr. Roy's view of the conflict
> between India and Pakistan. But even here, I am not
> sure what Mr. Roy suggests can be done about
> solving such deep seated conflicts.
>
> As the article is predominately concerning his
> understanding of terrorism,  did you find that to be
> an accurate portrayal?  How about his assessment of
> the role of US power in the world? Is this also your view
> of it?
>
> And most importantly, do you have a sense of what Mr. Roy
> is suggesting to be the solution?

hj: Arundhati Roy is a woman novelist from
southern India.  Shouldn't you be asking yourself
those question about yourself
?

mark: Thanks, have you read any of her novels?
My questions are not only directed at Saumen.

I wonder whether it is possible to cut through
the ideologies, the national perspectives,
to face the depths of the horrors of power. Arundhati Roy
is at least sincerely trying. That must involve seriously
questioning the story being told over and over by those
who control the sterering wheels. But ultimately her analysis
does not seem to get beyond the superficiality of leftist
perspectives. And that is about as far as these things
usually go. We (and I definitely include myself)
get a glimpse of the horror, and
then fall back into the distorted visions of our
conditioning, our sense of history, our self deformed
consciousness.

And so the world goes on as
before, a battleground of us and them, and those
that gain the most from the battle, are not coincidentally,
those with the greatest power.