Someone else here has experience with the CVT, can't recall who but...

I used a light duty Hoffco/Comet. I tried using the heaviest weights
and no springs but I lost about 600 rpm of my usable rpm range which
limited my top speed and my acceleration. I shoulda went with the
heavier duty unit, which are said to engage at close to zero rpm with
the heaviest weight, no spring set-up. But the main reason I dropped
it was the CCW rotation not good for the Perm-132 motor (brush wear).

Dale Henderson had a heavier duty unit for sale at one time. Keep in
mind CCW rotation.

Ideally for people who live in a hilly area a simple two speed trans
would make a huge difference, because with the single gear drive
current rises as you attempt to maintain your speed up hill and a lot
of that just goes into heat. Also starting on an incline same thing.
Unfortunately there is no ready supply of two speed trans. There are
Harley 5 speed trans pulls (they went to 6 speeds) on ebay ($500-700)
but they take up a lot of space and you have to put a sprocket onto
the clutch disk or work something else out to use a sprocket input.
Output is nowadays usually a belt pulley. I am thinking of using  one
of these on my three wheeler as I have lots of room (sorry) and maybe
1000 -1400lbs to move.

Jeff