Jeffrey Blamey wrote:
> Packaging is a big problem with the Harley trans but it is separate
> from the engine.

plus they are heavy and expensive, if you started with a Sportster, this might
be a good idea though.

 I haven't seen an adaptation of a engine/trans that
> was clean. I recall someone lopping off the cylinder of a jap engine
> and feeding the chain down to the crank,

this is what I was assuming. something like replacing the crank with a sprocket
on a straight shaft.
but it might make more sense to find a crankcase with enough room to chop the
whole front off and mount the motor  where
the crank was, thus eliminating a shaft and chain drive. if there is room.
or
using a Guzzi or BMW with separate tranny IIRC, that seems much easier.

. Any other ideas out there?

hmm lots of heavy stuff like transfer cases....