The design of the Comet does not lend itself to manual operation. I
haven't seen an alternative.

Packaging is a big problem with the Harley trans but it is separate
from the engine. I haven't seen an adaptation of a engine/trans that
was clean. I recall someone lopping off the cylinder of a jap engine
and feeding the chain down to the crank, kind of messy and I have to
think the sprockets kind of light duty since they used the cam
sprocket drive, but it was able to use the trans.

The english bikes in the past had separate four speed transmissions,
relatively small compared to the Harley but I have little data. My
suspicion on using a simple 2 speed trans from a lawn tractor would
probably not hold up. Any other ideas out there?

Jeff