My personal pursuit of a CVT or std.trans was to keep the motor rpm
up, current draw reasonable and sacrifice some speed going up a hill,
similar to the little car with a little engine, or a cyclist
conquering steep hills. Now I know electric motors have this flat
power thing going, but if we're trying to maximize our range I think
the transmission can make a difference. EVs cars trucks do use the
trans and not just because it is there, but because of the ability of
the trans to multiply the available power.

The trans should prevent precious amps from turning into heat (waste).
If you live on the flats a single speed is probably okay. The two
times I have done 21 miles on a charge had few hills in the mix, more
like very gradual rises. Now if you could extend the wheel base (oops
I am the one doesn't like that, shoot!) move the swing arm back to
accomodate the smallest separate trans (sportster, brit bike) and use
two gears maybe the range can be stretched a little?

Jeff