From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Glenn Kellis
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:18 PM
To: FLEAA Mailing List
Subject: Re: [FLEAA] Blind advocates lobby for noisier hybrid cars

Thank you Hugh,

This is just what I was thinking when I first heard this absurd argument a few
months ago. The best thing we can do is ignore it and not dignify it with
another word.

As the saying goes, "never argue with a crazy person, people might not know the
difference"

Best regards, Glenn

Hugh E Webber wrote:

     This is another last-gasp attempt to stop EVs, IMHO; I've seen dozens of
even more shaky (and outright bogus) objections to HEVs, EVs and anything that
threatens Big Auto or Oil.

     I drive a bicycle and a pedalcab. If autos should be required to be noisy
enough to alert the blind, then States could require bicycles, pedicabs,
scooters, skaters, skateboarders and pedalcabs to make noise, and bell all
pedestrians. Oh yeah: hydrants, parking meters, utility poles, trafic light
signal boxes and traffic signs should sound off constantly, for fear that
someone might walk into them.

     Seriously, people, where do we stop protecting people who are at increased
risk because they're out on the street blind, deaf, color-blind or drunk? I
smoke cigarettes, and pedalcab passersby continually warn me that I'm gonna die
from it. I point to the SUVs in the street in front of me, some driven by
drunks, and point out that THAT's what's far more likely to kill me (and not
slowly, either!)

     The signal-to-noise ratio is quite low on this particular trumped-up
obstacle to ZEVs.

Breathe free,

                Hugh E Webber

Florida Chapter, Electric Auto Association

http://www.floridaeaa.org   www.eaaev.org

     Earth Shuttle Pedalcab   www.pedalcab.us

Please note: message attached

  _____

Hi Everyone,

I have heard this argument brought up a few times over the last year, and have
been hearing it made more and more over the last couple of months. It seems the
'advocates' are making great headway with the media and getting great attention.
While I agree that some hybrids and EV's are hard to hear, I think mandating
that cars produce noise is not the right answer. What do you guys think? I
personally enjoy the silence of driving an EV around. The driver should be
responsible enough to observe his/her surroundings while driving.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9874568-7.html?tag=nefd.pulse

Shawn

  _____