·         Our server is running on 64-bit architecture. I understand that
having VS2008 on the same box means you can’t deploy solutions. Would it
make any difference to stick with 32-bit on the dev environment?

I think for the most part the x86/x64 is not too bad in this case, where
developing on x86 should work fairly seamlessly. However saying that, I
haven’t developed code for targeted x64.

·         Do you develop a VM from scratch and use an empty MOSS
environment, or is it better to take a snapshot of your live/staging
environments to try to emulate this as best you can?

It really depends on what you’re doing, for example if your content database
is 100GB, you properly don’t want to be loading that up in a VM, in which
case I would just use a vanilla MOSS install and go from there.

A somewhat sideway idea is the use of Windows Server 2008/Hyper-V in the
laptop, which you could have your XP/Vista machine with office, etc and then
have your developer VM’s, I know a few people who have gone down this path
and some more who are seriously considering it.

Daniel Brown – SharePoint MVP

Adelaide SharePoint User Group

Website: http://www.aspug.org.au <http://www.aspug.com.au/>

Blog: http://www.danielbrown.id.au <http://www.danielbrown.id.au/>

Mobile: 0419-804-099

ý Please consider your envrionment before printing this email.

That’s pretty much the conclusion I’ve come to.

A couple of quick questions before we close this baby:

·         Our server is running on 64-bit architecture. I understand that
having VS2008 on the same box means you can’t deploy solutions. Would it
make any difference to stick with 32-bit on the dev environment?

·         Do you develop a VM from scratch and use an empty MOSS
environment, or is it better to take a snapshot of your live/staging
environments to try to emulate this as best you can?

Apologies again for the newbie questions.

Regards,

Paul

Online Developer, ICT
CEO Sydney