I have seen many times in storytelling a situation where people are trapped in
an airtight environment and it is said that they will run out of oxygen.

In ordinary storytelling it might not be such a problem, after all, it is
fiction.

But recently I have seen the same thing said on the Science Channel, in both
fiction and non-fiction and I think that the assertion is wrong.

People that see these falsehoods in a semi-truthful or instructional situation
on the tube, especially children who are trying to form a truthful picture of
the world around them, causes confusion that required extra effort to change to
reality.

A classic example was on the Science Channel some months ago on a show called
How the Earth was Made.  A man who was said to be a geologist held a piece of
basalt in one hand and a piece of granite in the other.  He explained that the
granite was less dense than the basalt so that was why the granite was
prevalent on the surface of the earth.  Which was fine.  But he interjected
that the difference in density between the granite and the basalt was greater
than difference between the density of water and air.   This is so obviously
wrong it would simply be laughable except for the fact that someone portrayed
as a teacher was putting false information into a child's mind which will have
to be changed eventually.  I just believe lying to children is wrong.

Norm
S/V Bandersnatch

Does it matter??

In a message dated 4/25/2011 1:32:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,