Assuming he was talking of liquid water,

Density of air, 0 C:            1.2920 kg·m^−3
Density of water 4 C:   1000  kg·m^−3

density of granite                      2.75 g/cm^3
density of basalt                       3.0 g/cm^3

Norm is correct.

By the way Norm, the technology for extended diving time uses the divers breath
circulated through a CO2 scrubber and the cleansed air, now about 16% oxygen,
still enough to breathe, is recirculated to the diver with a little bit of make
up air from the high-pressure cylinder to keep the pressure right.  There is
enough oxygen remaining in an exhaled breath to support life, hence
mouth-to-mouth resucitation works.  CO2 is the main drive for inhaling and
exhaling air.  When one hyperventilates, the normal CO2 in the blood is blown
off, and one can hold one's breath long enough to pass out before the urge to
breathe reasserts itself.

Craig Scott   RN AE6E
ACLS ASLS BDLS PALS TNCC
Columbia, South Carolina