On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 12:20:09PM -0400, SteveW wrote:
> The price is certainly right, Ben.  But I'm curious where you'd be mounting
> them. I know you mention rail mounting but I can see the "load" swinging
> once you're underway.  It's one thing to have a static load (20#) but once
> the natural movement of the boat takes over that 20# static load starts a
> pendulum motion I'm guessing that would put stress on the clamps that they
> weren't designed for.  Just a thought.

If I use this, it would be two clamps, one above the other - assuming
they seem strong enough for the job, to me (and I'm pretty picky about
stuff like that.) If not, I'll go with an over-center T-bolt latch clamp
(Clampco makes a nice one.) In any case, letting it swing would be the
last thing I'd allow - but thanks for the reminder!

One of the things that I find many sailors lack, surprisingly, is the
knowledge of how to properly secure heavy items. I recently did a
presentation at a yacht club ("Knots, Ropework, and Stevedoring skills")
where I talked about lashing things down - notably by using
high-leverage bindings using the Alpine Butterfly, such as the Trucker's
Hitch and the Versa-Tackle. You might say I'm pretty hyped on that kind
of stuff. :)

> In terms of an alternative, I've see purpose-designed propane tank "boxes"
> (designed to fit the tank into and also providing a drainage hole at the
> bottom for any stray leakage) people have either mounted to their deck if
> there's space, or in one case, screwed to the transom.

Can't say I've ever been a fan of that kind of hardware; it seems like
having boxes for the sake of having boxes. The propane is already well
contained; the trick is securing that round shape. Most folks don't know
how to deal with those - except perhaps by re-boxing them into a "more
convenient" shape - and thus the (rather expensive and bulky)
"solution". Not for me.

Ben
--
                       OKOPNIK CONSULTING
        Custom Computing Solutions For Your Business