On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 03:03:03AM -0400, Ben Okopnik wrote:
> > Yep, this one's one of them stupid expensive stainless units.
>
> You've got more money than me, bro. :)

I'm not so sure about that; I think it was more a case of "I'll be done
grad school soon, and then I'll have a real income, and all this insane
level of expense will be easy to pay off". Naivete, sure I had more;
money, perhaps not..

> Yep, I know that one real well. In fact, I just changed a Shipmate stove
> that was made for CNG to propane, and added a spark generator while I
> was at it. Now, it's almost 3 a.m. here, and I've just finished and
> tested the wiring for a solenoid (took most of 2 days to run 15' of wire
> and hook up a switch and an LED. That's boats for you.) Too tired to go
> to sleep, so I'm answering my email.

Oh lord, why did you have to mention a spark generator; now I'm
remembering that I _still_ have to get some wire and a battery holder
for a single AA battery, so that I can move the battery for the spark
generator on my stove to somewhere that doesn't involve emptying out a
cockpit locker, climbing in with a power drill, adding some new *ahem*
ventilation for the burners in the bulkhead behind the stove, and then
fiddling around with the damned thing.

I'm well enough ahead on prepping the inside of my winter enclosure,
that I should probably stick it on that task queue.

> > Measurements will have to wait at least a week until I get back home,
> > but I got a friend to take some pictures recently, and she posted them
> > at:
> >
> > https://picasaweb.google.com/117029964194705003009/Propane?authkey=Gv1sRgCJzP16nUoOvRuAE&feat=email
>
> Ah-ha. Not what I had pictured, but a similar idea. Thanks, Kris - more
> grist for the mill!

Naturally, measurements have gone and waited more than a week..

The ring on the bottom of the tank is held in place by a pair of pegs
(one on each leg) which are basically 2" bolts with 5/8" long, 1/2" OD
bushing holding the head of the bolt off the leg (and a nylock nut on
the other side of the leg holding it all in place). The sides of these
pegs closest to the upright portion of the legs are 3" away from the
close side of the tube (the tube, BTW is 1" thick.

The legs are spaced 4" apart along their entire length, about 1" from
the tank ring pegs, and 1" from the bottom end of the legs, is a 1/4"
piece of rod prividing spacing. Additional spacing is provided by the
mounting plates on the upright portions of the legs, each of which is a
2" wide piece of 1/8" thick plate. The bottom edge of the bottom support
is 2" from the top of bottom section of the legs. The bottom of the
upper plate is about 9" from the top of the lower plate. The plate
holding the hook for the top ring on the tank is similar plate, but only
1" wide. Its bottom is 3/4" above the top of the upper support plate.

And since this is probably way more specific to my tank holder than
you'd ever need, I'm going to hold off on measuring any of the other
pieces.

Cheers,
Kris

P.S. In other news, I've been spending a great deal of time lately with
a lovely young half-Russian/half-Polish woman from Lithuania who's not
only helpful around the boat, but also understands the importance of
chocolate to a happy life (and understands that the best way to maintain
one's figure when eating so much chocolate is through *ahem* lots of
vigorous physical activity). Of course her real winning attribute is
that when the tail end of Sandy came to Toronto, she suggested that we
go out canoeing in it (which was, of course, a great deal of fun).

--
Kris Coward                                     http://unripe.melon.org/