On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Darcy Casselman
<dscassel+ubu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The city chapter is responsible for getting people involved, running
> cool events and having fun promoting Ubuntu.
> The national LoCo is responsible for reporting to the council,
> publicizing what the chapters are doing and maintaining an online
> presence.  And encourage the creation of new chapters as much as
> possible.

Absolutely! This is what has worked really well thus far for the two
teams I've been a part of, California and Pennsylvania, it's all about
having regional teams (formal or informal, all my experience has been
very informal) of folks who plan things in their area.

In addition to covering overhead administrative tasks, it's helps
smaller areas outside of major metropolitan areas (which may not ever
get big enough to be "approved" teams on their own) get resources,
inspiration and publicity. The anchor cities like Los Angeles and San
Francisco in my LoCo may be the most active, but it's inspiring for
folks in other areas to do events if they're seeing other things
happen in the state or country. Additionally I really like that I just
need to follow the resources of one team for everything in my state in
case I'm doing "local" travelling, plus I'm happy to support an event
by a small regional team a couple hours away if they need some help or
a speaker, I imagine this is even more important for non-English
speaking teams.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com