On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:49 AM, YoBoY <yoboy.legu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Most of the Lugs are 90% ubuntu users. Most of
> the lugs contribute to ubuntu or the ubuntu-fr community. But they don't
> need (they don't want) to have the official status because we already
> have this status, they are ubuntu-fr also.

We're starting to reach out to LUGs now.  I'm trying to figure out
what to say to them.  What can we (the national LoCo) offer and what
should we be asking of them?

We started with "Hey, you should become a chapter! :D"  But in our
first attempts, we've run into some resistance because they don't want
to be tied to a specific distribution.  We're going to work on
clearing up that misconception, but it does seem to illustrate
problems with our approach.  We've seen more suspicion than
enthusiasm.  How do you suggest avoiding that?

For cities that have no LUGs, but has one or two people on the mailing
list, our way is a little clearer: tell them to start an Ubuntu Hour.
Start holding events.  But are there best practices to help them get
their groups off the ground?

I think one of the problems the bug was meant to address is that most
of the documentation for LoCo teams assumes one LoCo Team == one
group.  But the local groups and the regional/national teams seem like
two different things to me.  There's not a lot of guidance for how the
national teams can encourage and support local groups.

Darcy.