Jim,

The procedure for new contributions is quite simple. You just post your contribution
to the log4j-user mailing list. If it makes sense to do so, I (or any another
comitter) will add it to the contribs/ directory. I plan to be liberal about adding
contributions but would like to exert a minimum amount of selection so that the
contribs/ directory does not get out of hand.

If you would like to update an existing contribution, then you should submit a patch
to the log4j-user ML or to log4j-dev ML as you prefer.

Unless I am mistaken, the ASF rules say that an existing committer nominates a
developer, the existing committers take a vote, and if there are 3 in favor and no
objections, then the developer gets commit access. In practice, if a developer
*consistently* makes contributions, then there is a good chance that she will get
commit access.

The ASF is very open to newcomers. We just would like to see some commitment (no pun
intended) to the project first. Ceki

----