Ceki,

I found a way to solve my problem without changing the code for SocketServer
or SocketAppender (thank you Seemantini Godbole). I created a generic.lcf
and added some categories and stated one log file per category (see below).

I want to separate logging per session bean type. Aktually per group of
session bean types.

I don't see how NDC could help. It doesn't have any mechanism to create
several log files. It's for adding some extra info to the output. Am I
right?

I dont really understand you when you say "you cannot guarantee that the
code called by the session beans will be in x or respectively y".

In the EJB's I do theese two rows every time i log something:
    Category cat = Category.getInstance("EJB1");
    cat.info("message");

Then I can be sure that it writes to the right file.

Is this a good way of using log4j? I hope that I have explained
understandably.

Best Regards and thank you for your help.
/Atay

***********************************
parts from generic.lcf:
# Category EJB1
log4j.category.EJB1=debug, EJB1Log
log4j.appender.EJB1Log=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.EJB1Log.File=C:\\EJB1.log

log4j.appender.EJB1Log.MaxFileSize=1000KB
log4j.appender.EJB1Log.MaxBackupIndex=5

log4j.appender.EJB1Log.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.EJB1Log.layout.ConversionPattern=%m%n%n