Jagadeesan,Sivakumar wrote:

In my web application, I have to set  system property to point to my config
file. This is kind of not good. Sometimes if I am deploying my application
in some ones server (like a Web Hosting Service Provider), I will not be
able to have such a system property, nor I could change the startup script
of the app server . So there should be some other way to do this.

I'm not writing to disagree with you, in fact what I'm about to say is sort of off-topic -- but couldn't you write a ContextListener that sets a System Property by reading a configuration file (of your own creation)?

Admittedly this gets a little convoluted -- you're using a config file to tell a ContextListener to set a System Property pointing to another config file that tells Log4J how to configure itself. But in theory does it work?

Erik