On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Jonathan Peterson wrote:

> I've been discussing this with the new meeja agency I'm dealing with, and
> they seem pretty sure that not only is it 50% or above, but that people
> respond much more favourably* to HTML email than to plain text email.
> Depressing, but apparently true.

This seems to depend on what the company is promoting/selling. We have
done campaigns where the text click throughs out stripped the HTML one's!
This was probably down to bad HTML design though.
On most of our campaigns the HTML click through rate is only a couple of
percent higher than the text one.

> Since webbugs would allow you to track the % of people with HTML mail
> pretty accurately, I'm inclined to believe figures I hear on this, although
> obviously different kinds of mailing lists will tend to have slightly
> different figures wrt this.

This is rediculously easy :(.... even without bugs.... just append an ID
to the src part of the image tag!

Some people are always going to want HTML emails because "they look
pretty". I say give them the choice.... send multipart and provide them
with the option to choose which they would prefer in the future!

What really bugs me at the moment is Flash Emails..... urgh!!

Andy